Going Back to School as a Stay at Home Mom | Secrets to Success
Going back to school as a mom is daunting, to say the least. Some days I doubted my ability to accomplish my assignments on time while caring for my family. I ugly cried more times than I can count because I was so overwhelmed with emotions and responsibility.
If you’re considering going back to school or are already in the throes of textbooks and toddler drama.. read on to learn my 5 secrets to success as a student and stay at home mom.
1. Stop feeling guilty. We’re just going to get this out of the way right now, friend. You don’t get to feel guilty about improving the quality of life for you and your family. Period. You deserve to have exciting things happen. You deserve to have an identity outside of motherhood. And, you deserve to enjoy learning about something unrelated to your children.
2. Download your textbooks on your phone. I used the Kindle and Chegg apps to download my textbooks. This made reading so much easier because I could hold my nursing baby in one arm and hold my phone in the other. Total game changer.
3. Get at least an hour of homework done before your kids wake up. If you read my post about the best morning routine for moms (read that here) then you know how much I thrive on morning time productivity. While in school, I woke up early to accomplish my most difficult homework assignments before mom brain could take full effect. Organic Chemistry was an intense class and there was no way to get those assignments done when my son was awake.
4. Prepare the night before. I found it helpful to read my assigned chapters the night before doing the homework. I also took this time to write out a specific to-do list for the next day.
5. Schedule everything at least one month in advance. There is nothing worse than scrambling to find a babysitter so you can take an exam you completely forgot about (not that I have any experience with this issue..). I began each semester by writing all assignment due-dates in my planner. I also planned which days/times I would read my textbook, research for a paper, or shop for ingredients (food science, anyone?). Pre-scheduling all of my exams with a proctor and arranging childcare in advance was crucial. This made the rest of the semester a lot less stressful because I wasn’t scrambling to get things done last minute.
There is no way I could have survived this season in my life without implementing these 5 habits. I know being in school is hard, friend. You’re doing the right thing and I promise there is an end in sight. And, it feels pretty incredible!
Are you going back to school? What are you studying? I would love to know what helps you stay focused and motivated.. let me know in a comment below!